Profile Of Violin Teacher
Mr Toh Meng Wan
- Over 20 years of teaching experience
- Experienced in violin lessons and conducting string ensemble
- FTCL Diploma in Violin Recital
- LTCL Diploma in Violin Recital (Distinction)
- LRSM in Violin Performance
- DipABRSM in Violin Performance
- Grade 8 in Violin (Merit)
- Grade 7 in ABRSM Music Theory
- Grade 5 in ABRSM Piano Practical
- Certificate in Composition and Conducting from NUS Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music
- String Ensemble Conductor at Nanyang Primary School, winning Gold & Distinction at SYF
- Active performer with various orchestras and prominent musicians in Singapore
- Played with Singapore Symphony Orchestra (SSO) in 3-Night Sold Out Charity Concert
- Teaching Location: Home studio at Bishan Sin Ming, and also student’s homes at Bishan, Toa Payoh, Ang Mo Kio and other areas of Singapore
Mr Toh Meng Wan has more than 20 yrs of experience in teaching violin and conducting ensemble. His music qualifications include Diploma & Licentiate of the Royal Schools of Music (DipABRSM & LRSM), Licentiate & Fellowship of Trinity College London (LTCL & FTCL) in violin performance.
He also studied composition & conducting CET courses at NUS Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music.
Mr Toh believes in making violin learning FUN and RIGHT. If learning is not FUN, students will soon lose interest, hence introducing familiar & tuneful folk pieces coupled with teacher-student duet playing is always a good start.
Getting basic postures and techniques RIGHT is also extremely important, as violin playing requires a high level of coordination, if basics are not right students will struggle in the long term.
Besides giving private violin lessons, Mr Toh is in charge of the Novice Violin and String Ensemble Program at Nanyang Primary School.
Under his dedicated guidance as Conductor, the school achieved a Gold & Distinction award in SYF Central Judging in 2010 & 2018.
His latest performance includes a two-day concert at The Asian Civilization Museum (2019) , as part of the Singapore Bicentennial Celebration.
As a violin teacher Mr Toh knows the importance of, and has extensive, performing experience. He has worked with many local and visiting groups.
In 2019, he performed Brahms challenging D minor violin sonata at Esplanade Recital Studio(ERS). From 2011 – 2016, he performed thrice at ERS, featuring piano, cello & violin trio and 2-violin duet. He has collaborated with well known local musicians; pianist Nicholas Loh and violinist Chin Chee Mee, in chamber concerts (2009 & 2011).
In 2008 and 2009, he was invited to play in the newly formed 90-members Symphony Orchestra, OMM, under Maestro Chan Tze Law.
In 2006, he performed in the orchestra for the USA based Broadway musical – West Side Story, for a 29-show run at Esplanade Theatre.
From 2004 – 2006 he was an active member of the chamber orchestra – CAMERATA, led by violin professor Ivan Peev, which performed for the Esplanade’s Chamber Music Series 2005.
In 2004, he co-founded THE CHAMBER MUSICIANS, and has presented 7 very successful concerts to date. In April 2001, Mr Toh played with the SSO in a three-night sold-out charity concert; East Meet West.
Prior to that, he led an Orchestra comprising members of the Singapore German School in a performance of Handel’s Messiah with NUSS choir at a Christmas concert in 2000.
Mr Toh teaches at his place at Bishan Sin Ming, and also at student’s home, with students from beginners to Grade 8 and Diploma levels.